|English: Unwrapped condom (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
One of the smallest and most practical pieces of EDC your character could carry is a non-lubricated condom. Many survivalists pack the condoms into their pocket-sized EDC tins that they have on them at all times. (More about this in an upcoming blog). But why? Do these burly SEALS think they're going to find a heroine in the middle of the jungle who needs stress relief? Not so much. Here are some of the ways your girl can make her day a little smoother with a condom in hand.
|An example of an EDC or 'Everyday Carry' (Photo credit: Wikiped|
|(Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
1. Perhaps she is a drug mule Sad but true, she could
pour her powdered drug into the condom, knot it off,
and swallow it. This would also work for a
micro-chip, camera memory card or other tiny object
with which she needed to escape. Dire straights call
for dire choices.
2. Retaining DNA samples.
3. FOR FIRST AID
* Cut the end off and slip over a cast or bandaged
area so that one could bathe or shower.
Video Quick Study - wound protection
*Make shift/last resort rubber glove when
* Make shift tourniquet - while this may sound like a
stretch (no pun intended), imagine how helpful this
tool would have been at the Boston Marathon
* When no tape is available, cut off the end and use it
|(Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
Even without a cloth it will help keep debris and
bugs out of the wound and apply pressure to the
area. Helpful for burns, as well.
(See above video quick study.)
* If someone had a tooth knocked out, put the tooth
with some milk (or water if no milk is available) into
the condom and tie it closed. Go immediately to an
* If a character has a sucking chest wound from an
accident or gun shot etc., your heroine would see air
bubbles and blood. Place the condom (in its
package) over the wound and tape three sides of it
in place. It is important to leave the bottom untaped.
4. Speaking of gunshots, a condom will protect a gun from water, sand, and other debris.
|(Photo credit: timtak)|
5. Dry Is Good!
* If your heroine is an actress/singer/PI/Operative, she might know the little trick of putting her microphone
in a condom and taping it to her skin. This prevents sweat/rain/moisture from messing up the feed.
* If she breaks down on the side of the road and decides to hike to an area where she has cell reception in
a rain storm, she might just stick her phone, GPS, matches, and other supplies into the condom she
keeps in her wallet for just such emergencies. It is surprising how much volume a condom can hold!
(Think one gallon of water)
* If your heroine is a bad-ass, she might use the condoms to keep her detonation fuses dry.
6. Survival -Okay - now you've put your heroine into a zombie apocalypse survival situation. She may
be the hottest babe left alive, but she's smart enough to put her condoms to use in keeping her that way.
There are four basics to survival: shelter, food, water, fire. A condom can help with all of these.
* Shelter - A condom can be used as cordage to tie limbs together for a debris hut.
|(Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
safely. While condoms are very stretchy they
are also easy to break. To prevent a loss, make
sure that you insert the condom into a sock before
the condom is filled. The sock will help provide the
needed structure as well as help prevent something
from piercing the condom. If your heroine is trained,
she might just have a water purification tablet or two
with her EDC.
VIDEO QUICK STUDY (1:07)
1. Make a fire using a water filled condom like a
VIDEO QUICK STUDY (0:48)
2. Store dry kindling - it may be dry now, but your intrepid heroine knows nothing goes well for her.
Was that a roll of thunder she hears? Or, if she is without dry kindling, the condom itself will serve the
|(Photo credit: Sylvianism1)|
3. "But wait!" you say. "It's overcast. My heroine doesn't
smoke and doesn't have her EDC. Her boyfriend is
passed out. The only thing in his pockets is a bunch of
condoms. How could she start a fire?"
Your heroine can still cook her caught bird and make a
roaring signal fire if she uses the condoms to make the fire
drill that she saw someone use on one of those survivor
shows. Sure it's hard to do - but what else does she have
to do with her time?
VIDEO QUICK STUDY (3:08)
1. Condom Slingshot - Yup. She played with slingshots as a kid, and was pretty good! Why not have
squirrel for dinner?
VIDEO QUICK STUDY (1:11)
2. Blow up the condom a little and tie a knot. Now you have a fishing bob.
* Other ways to save herself and the guy she loves?
1 Well, "fishermen in certain parts of the Amazon have found a way to protect their privates from one of
the scariest fishes of all - the candiru. Nope, candirus don’t bite and eat you up like piranhas, but they
can be scary in the sense that they can enter through your genitals and make their homes in your body.
Candirus entering the penis can be very painful, as you feel them wriggling inside of you. By putting on a
condom every time you go fishing or wading in the waters, you are saving yourself and your penis from a
lot of hurt and pain." LINK
2. If she falls in the water she can blow up a dozen condoms and use them as a flotation device. (Yeah - I
know. Why would she have a dozen condoms on her? Maybe she stole them from the Amazon
3. If push comes to shove, a condom can be used as a garrote to choke the assailant.
4. And of course - to protect your heroine from STDs and unwanted pregnancies
|Photograph of unrolled Durex condom (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
* The Danish word for condom is Svangerskabsforebyggendemiddel.
* In 1844 Charles Goodyear got a patent on crepe rubber condoms. Yes a VERY good year! LINK
|Prezerwatywa, z angielskiej wiki (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|